Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, December 03, 2004


Quote of the Day

Apropos the great VDH piece that Wonderdog linked to, I offer one of my favorite exchanges from the Lord of the Rings.

After his harrowing and heroic experience in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, Merry Brandybuck lies in the Houses of Healing. Pippin, sitting by his side, remarks, "Dear me! We Tooks and Brandybucks, we can't live long on the heights."

Here is Merry's response -- his own version of "lest we forget":

"No," said Merry. "I can't. Not yet, at any rate. But at least, Pippin, we can now see them, and honour them. It is best to love first what you are fitted to love, I suppose: you must start somewhere and have some roots, and the soil of the Shire is deep. Still there are things deeper and higher; and not a gaffer could tend his garden in what he calls peace but for them, whether he knows about them or not. I am glad that I know about them, a little."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home