Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, February 11, 2005


Classical Music

Finally got a chance to see the new Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles last night from the inside. Stunning inside and out, except for the poor choice of fabric for the carpet and the seats.
As this dog gets older, I have come to appreciate classical music more and more. I was looking forward to the LA Philharmonic. The program was a Debussey piece and The Rite of Spring by Stravinsky. Now I am more of a traditionalist and favor the Mozart, Beethoven, Mahler, Chopin, Strauss, etc. , But these 2 weren't bad. However, the first piece was an original score by the musical director, Esa Pekka Salonen. It was called Wing on Wing, but sounded more like bird crap. It was just horrible. A bunch of self indulgent, discordant, obnoxious poop that sounded like the soundtrack for a bad 50's sci fi movie. It featured two women signing in other worldly pseudo orgasmic high tones (I would prefer Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd), and some really dumb voice overs playing from the wings.
Please, spare us!

2 Comments:

Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

I am with you, Stewdog. I just hate "modern" classical music. I know why, too. Seems it is something you appreciate intellectually. Only dummies like you and me (and the majority of the audience) go to listen to the sound. I am not making this up. I got it straight from a musician who actually likes the stuff.

February 12, 2005 7:32 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Stewdog, this may help you and me to understand. These are actual quotes from a HS band handout:

"Each piece of music is an accurate depiction of the composer's thoughts at the moment. These thoughts and ideas are neither positive or negative, they are simply the truth."

"The musical ideas in each piece reflect the composer's ideas and they may not be readily accessible to you or you may not agree that they were 'good' ideas to begin with. But, you will learn to acknowledge that they are the true depiction of the composer's feelings and cannot be reduced to evaluation as simple as 'good' or 'bad.'"

"... music is a gift but we cannot fully accept the gift without the necessary skills that will allow us to hear the music as it was intended..."

Silly me. I thought you just listen and think, "damn, that was good" or "I paid good money for this?

February 13, 2005 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home