Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Sunday, November 27, 2005


The holiday that shall not be named

It's that time of year again. You know what time of year I'm talking about, right? You know -- it's the holiday time of year. You know. The "happy holidays" time of year.

I really like this time of year and I particularly enjoy getting together with my family on that one particular happy holiday where you open presents together. You know the one I'm talking about. The happy holiday day where everyone gathers around the happy holiday day tree and opens presents and sings happy holiday carols and wishes each other a happy holiday day? You know the one I'm talking about. It's that one happy holiday day that everyone goes to the malls in droves to prepare for? Where you go buy a present and the person who sells it to you says, "happy holidays" and you say, "happy holidays" and then you kind of give each other that knowing glance, as if to say -- "I know you know that I know what particular happy holiday day we're both talking about, bro -- wink wink."

But I've already said too much and they are already coming...But before they get here, I leave you with this:

My elephant recently returned yesterday carrying his rude idiosyncrasies silently toward my angry self!

5 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

We wish you a Merry Holidaymas
And a Happy New Holiday Year.

November 27, 2005 1:14 PM  
Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Hey you! What's this HOLIdayMAS stuff? Don't you know that "holi-" means "holy," as in God stuff, and that "-mas" means "mass," as in Catholic mass?

Enough with the Christian proselytizing!

Change it to "Whollydaymess"!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

November 27, 2005 2:34 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

On Xmas day, Santa Claus was born. He slept in a manger because the reindeer liked it. And frosty the snowman came to see him bearing gifts. The end.

November 27, 2005 4:29 PM  
Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Still trying to smuggle in Christianity, I see!

The "X" in "Xmas" is obviously the Greek letter "chi," which stands for Christ, and the "-mas" is the old problem already noted! And now you've even brought in the 'Holy Nicholaus' by way of Santa Claus!

I'm not buying it!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

November 27, 2005 10:51 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Last week talk radio started up with the "happy holiday" rant. I always thought "happy holidays" was a way to fit in Thanksgiving (at least for a while), Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year's. More recently, some may think it includes Ramadan (over already this year) and Kwanzaa (don't get me started). So happy holidays doesn't bother me much.

Now, calling a Christmas tree a "holiday tree" -- well that's just stupid. None of those other holidays include decorating a tree. (And no fair counting the Hanukkah bush, an idea I hope has died.)

November 28, 2005 4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home