Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Saturday, February 11, 2006


Maybe Jimmy Carter Had It Right

In terms of boycotting Olympics, or at least opening ceremonies. I tried to watch it last night, really I did, but whose idea was it to play disco music for the opening ceremony instead of Italian Opera or other great classical music? For once, I agreed with Times Sports columnist BILL PLASCHKE about this (and I would have linked the article but you have to register). And the inane comments and the first night coverage of NBC does not bode well.
I am also offput by the jingoism in the coverage. OK, emphasize the USA athletes, but I would also like to know who the world's great skiers happen to be, not just ours.
(And while I am complaining, doesn't it bug you when you are paying bills and they ask you to put your acount number on the check when the number is usually something like:
"1343 38274 90284 888998974316875984818 398798547981")

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Did you see Yoko Ono yammering about peace before introducing Peter Gabriel, who sang a slow, dreary version of "Imagine"? That was shortly after a bunch of wall-climbing acrobats formed the shape of a dove...

February 11, 2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Dang! I missed Yoko!

February 11, 2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

I did indeed see Yoko Ono! And then Peter Gabriel tops it off with my favorite song about "peace." Daryl Ann and I were saying we might have enjoyed Peter Gabriel if he had gone out there and sung "Big Time."

During the lighting of the torch, Daryl Ann kept asking why the torch was shaped like a joint, and then she did an impression of Yoko Ono saying, "I think the torch should be shaped like a joint, because nothing says "Peace" to me like a doobie." That was the most enjoyment I got out of the whole thing -- that and "Nessun Dorma," of course. But after all that came before, it struck me as a kind of a sad reminder of how lost glory.

And did you get a load of that guy with the mohawk who looked like some cast-off extra from Road Warrior?

February 11, 2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

Sly Stone was there??

February 11, 2006 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home