Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Sunday, November 21, 2004


Dedicated to Conservative In Virginia

We have a Number One fan on this blog, who goes by 'Conservative in Virgina'. I have shortened that to CIV, and in Roman Numerals, that is simply 104. I noted a comment in response to a lyric that I posted in which 104 professed admiration for Randy Newman, especialy the Sail Away album (or CD or recording or whatEVER!)
So, since it is Sunday, let's close the day with one of his less cynical songs from
Sail Away:

He Gives Us All His Love

He gives us all his love
He gives us all his love
He's smiling down on us
From up above
And he's giving us all his love

He knows how hard we're trying
He hears the babies crying
He sees the old folks dying
And he gives us all his love

If you need someone to talk to
You can always talk to him
And if you need someone to lean on
You can lean on him

He give us all his love
He gives us all his love
He's smiling down on us
From up above
And he's giving us all his love
He's smiling down on us
From up above
He gives us all his love

6 Comments:

Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Gosh, sniffle, I'm so touched.

November 22, 2004 5:47 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Oh, and thanks for not dedicating "Short People" to me.

November 22, 2004 5:50 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Well, since I have no way of knowing if you are a tree or are vertically challenged, I couldn't very well do that. Funny that you mention that song. I think it was his #1 commercial success, but I wouldn't rank it as one of my favorite RN songs. It caused an unnecessary uproar, as it was all tongue in cheek, as are most of his songs. I Love LA celbrated the city, while noting "a bum on his knees". Sail Away paints a rosy picture of coming to America. . for slaves.
You can't take Randy too literally.

November 22, 2004 8:54 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

I've previously admitted to being short. But, I don't really mind the "Short People" song, nor the "Rednecks" song, nor anything else I've heard. All in good fun. My favorite (a difficult choice) is probably "Political Science."

No one likes us
I don't know why.
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try.
But all around even our old friends put us down.
Let's drop the big one and see what happens.

November 22, 2004 11:15 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

That song "Political Science" is flat out brilliant.
So is Rednecks, although for the life of me I have no idea why it didn't get more radio airplay.
Of his newer songs, I like "It's Money That Matters".

Did you know that Randy Newman wrote the Three Dog Night hit "Momma Told Me Not To Come", perhaps the first anti drug ballad to come out of that era?

November 22, 2004 11:34 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

I think I knew about "Momma Told Me Not to Come" but forgot about it. I was a 3 Dog Night fan at one time, too. I haven't listened to any new music in years. I tolerated some disco, tried to like punk (Clash had a couple good ones), but then gave up. Now I only listen to right wing talk radio. Oh, and middle school band music.

November 22, 2004 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home