Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Saturday, November 20, 2004


To a Great Friend

Someone whom I have gotten to know and has become a part of my extended family recently had a setback in his life. I know this incident came as a body blow and will sting for a bit, but I also know that this person has a rare strength of character, who will rebound from it quickly. To him, I have found a few quotes that are apropos:
"I have always felt that although someone may defeat me, and I strike out in a ball game, the pitcher on the particular day was the best player. But I know when I see him again, I'm going to be ready for his curve ball. Failure is a part of success. There is no such thing as a bed of roses all your life. But failure will never stand in the way of success if you learn from it."
-- Hank Aaron
"To begin to think with purpose, is to enter the ranks of those strong ones who only recognize failure as one of the pathways to attainment."
-- James Allen
"I wasn't afraid to fail. Something good always comes out of failure."
-- Anne Baxter
"No one ever won a chess game by betting on each move. Sometimes you have to move backward to get a step forward."
-- Amar Gopal Bose
"You must think of failure and defeat as the springboards to new achievements or to the next level of accomplishment."
-- Les Brown
"Failure does not count. If you accept this, you'll be successful. What causes most people to fail is that after one failure, they'll stop trying."
-- Frank Burford
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there."
-- Edwin Louis Cole
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Stewdog. I just read this and wanted to say that one of the few advantages of these types of setbacks is that you get to learn who your true friends really are -- I'm proud to say that you're one of them.

November 22, 2004 9:57 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

You are a prince of a man, Stewdog.

November 22, 2004 11:20 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

More like a Queen.

November 22, 2004 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home